Sunday 3 November 2013

Combative Movies and Gender: Self-Reflection on an Observation


This past week was interesting for me, as the content I read from Brian L. Ott and Robert L. Mack’s textbook Critical Media Studies: an Introduction actually came face to face with me in my own life. The authors suggest that gender is an element of a cultural or societal viewpoint which stipulates what will emanate from the two sexes, illustrating this conception within the realms of what males and females consume for instance, which I assume extends to media selection, while the authors also reference gender’s voice in the explanation of the drills of life which the differentiated bodies of male and female dedicate themselves to (178). In offering explanation, Ott and Mack suggest that it is the conception of gender that is illustrative of the woman as a manifestation of the beneficial forces of support and guardianship, depictions which do not have a relationship with sex, which the authors denote as the true elemental divergences between males and females which harken to the explanations of biology (178). Last Monday I was in a class where films are an integral element, and in the viewing a group presentation from my colleagues, I will generalize an important question of theirs with a relevant complexion to Ott and Mack’s material. One of the group members inquired as to why a wealth of filmic situations which illustrate the defeating of villainy issue forth a man in the undertaking of the physical or psychological combat, while these heroic scenarios do not imagine the woman.
The Dark Knight Cover
Source: HMV.ca
 
 
 
Mission Impossible/ Special Collector's Edition Cover
Source: HMV.ca
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Skyfall Cover
Source: HMV.ca
 
 I then shared my response, suggesting that combative films have a relationship with purchasers of movie tickets or the films themselves which illustrates the admiration emanating from men with greater strength than from the opposite sex (Brym et al. 272). Soon after, a female colleague bluntly questioned “is that fair?” This left no ambiguity for me that my suggestion which was permeated by the conception of gendered pleasantries within the media realm had an offending quality (Ott and Mack 178), though throughout my formulation of the opinion and articulation, I did not believe that my opinion fell into any arena of offence. As I had not yet read “Feminist Analysis” before my Monday lecture, the words of Ott and Mack, however, depict my suggestion in class as attaining a perception of proper suggestion from the hands of the realm of gender, which the authors acknowledge as disadvantageous (179).  
                                                                           Works Cited
Brym, Robert J., et al. "Sexualities and Gender Stratification." Sociology: Your Compass for a
     New World. 4th ed. Toronto: Nelson Education, 2010. 265-298. Print.
Dark Knight Cover. Warner Home Video. HMV.ca. Web. 3 Nov. 2013.
Mission Impossible/Special Collector's Edition. Paramount Home Video. HMV.ca Web. 3 Nov.
2013.
 
Ott, Brian L., and Robert L. Mack. "Feminist Analysis." Critical Media Studies: an Introduction.
     Malden: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010. 177-196. Print.
Skyfall Cover. MGM/United Artists. HMV.ca. Web. 3 Nov. 2013.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment