Sunday 24 November 2013

Songs Significant to Me: The Sadness of "Don't Stop the Party"


Pitbull - Swagged Out Cover
Source: Best Buy
I enjoyed the discourse of Brian L. Ott and Stephen L. Mack in reference to the conception of songs which are important because of their permeation into moments which are integral for individual consumers (221-222). The authors explain different scenarios that would catalyze the illustration of significance for a given song, for instance suggesting that it was a surrounding element of the high school dances one engaged in (Ott and Mac 222). This formula necessitates, in the words of Ott and Mack, that despite a hit single’s extension to a wealth of individuals, the idea of significance for a sole person fails to find attainment in the minds of other patrons because the latter’s dealings with the specific song have not been characterized similarly (Ott and Mack 222). A song which I view as significant, though in an explicitly negative and foreseeably comical dimension, is Pitbull’s “Don’t Stop the Party,” a musical piece which I initially heard at my cousin’s wedding a few weeks ago. During my cousin’s wedding, I asked a girl if she was desirous of partaking in a beverage, and she capitulated. Due to the volume of the music, I inquired as to if she wished to move into the hall to speak and she agreed to this as well. In the midst of the conversation however, I comprehended that her engagement in our discourse had lapsed, and soon she brought herself once more to the dancing area. I do not remember if Pitbull’s song met my ears prior to the aforementioned episode or afterwards but it is the musical representation of joyousness that remained imbedded in my thoughts pertaining to the wedding, a contextual element for my feelings of sadness and disappointment. Therefore, referring once more to Ott and Mack, the track’s significance emanates from my disadvantageous scenario and I thus have a detrimental perception of it; I would imagine, however, that the viewpoint characterizing my cousin getting married and utilizing the song is characterized differently, as it was a constructive piece of a blissful event for him (221-222).  
                                                                                    Works Cited
 
 
Ott, Brian L., and Robert L. Mack. "Reception Analysis." Critical Media Studies: an Introduction.
 
     Malden: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010. 221-237. Print.
Pitbull Swagged Out Cover. Pitbull. Best Buy.com. Web. 24 Nov. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment